Tuesday, November 17, 2009

All kids do this at one time or another...

(Allow me a shout-out to @ST_Rachel, whose blog post yesterday reminded me of this recent experience. Thanks. =])

Calyssa and I were at Barnes & Noble in Pleasant Hill one recent Sunday, after church. As we were awaiting our turn at the cashwrap counter, she decided she wanted...I don't recall exactly what, but some board book she really didn't need, as she has long since outgrown board books. I shook my head "no", which set off the mother of all temper tantrums. Complete melt-down. Kicking on the floor. The works. The sort of tantrum which causes one to immediately look heavenward and pray for an earthquake, so that maybe the floor will swallow you up.

Calyssa's screams, begging for the book, continued to escalate, and I repeatedly told her that, no, we would not be buying that particular book today. Finally the woman who had been ahead of us in line, paying for her purchase, completed her transaction and turned to us. As she approached, I steeled myself for the lecture I knew must be coming. (I was wrong...)

As she opened her mouth to speak, I looked her in the face, and was thunderstruck. "Mrs. K?" I asked, just as she asked "Julie?" Yes, it was my Girl Scout troop leader, from grade school! I hadn't seen her in at least 25 years, and, other than having slightly grayer hair, she hadn't changed much.

"I see you're a mom now," she observed. "Yes," I sighed. "That IS my darling daughter, Calyssa. She's 5 now. I apologize. I'm a single mom, she's deaf, and I don't know what to do!"

"Apologize for what?" Mrs. K inquired, clearly confused. "All kids do this at one time or another. We've all been there. I was just coming over here to tell you that I was thinking, 'What a good mom she is!' Most moms would've caved. Good for you for holding your ground!" Knowing what a sweet, encouraging Girl Scout mom Mrs. K had been, I've no doubts that she truly was thinking that.

I stepped out of the checkout line, and we chatted for a moment or two. Seeing that I was no longer paying any attention to her, Calyssa promptly calmed down. I carried that bit of encouragement with me the rest of that long, long day.

1 comment: